Tuesday, January 20, 2009

XBOX to Home Media Center

DSC_0363

I converted my XBOX into a home media server running UnleashX. (photo)

All it cost me was a $2 copy of Splinter Cell and a couple hours of combined research and setup time.

With my spiffy new Ubuntu server, I can now stream all my music and videos from the Ubuntu Box to the XBOX wirelessly. XBOX Media Center (XBMC) automatically looks up video, TV, and Music metadata so I can see reviews, plot synopsis, and thumbnails from IMDB and other online databases. It's truly a thing of beauty.

What's that? It gets better? Oh yes - I have a Super Nintendo emulator installed too. This plus my full catalog of ROMs means I can play any SNES game ever released in any country all on my XBOX.

The downside? I can't use XBOX Live anymore from that specific XBOX. Cost-Benefit? Worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment