Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Project 365 :: My Personal Framework

Project 365

I really like the concept behind Project365; take a photo every day for a year. I initially read about it on Photojojo. Since then, I've really wanted to do it. But I always fail.

Why I Fail

I don't fail because...

  • I'm lazy; lazy people can take photos too. Plus, I'm not lazy ;)
  • I don't have time; a photo technically take less than one second.

I do fail because...

  • I forget.
  • I concentrate on the goal (a photo every day), rather than the process and meaning.
  • I am a perfectionist; I think every photo must be perfect and unique.

It goes like this...

  1. I get all excited about the idea.
  2. I take a photo every day for a week or two.
  3. One of two things happen.
    • I run out of easy ideas; I start spending 20+ minutes per photo. A voice screams "This is too time consuming!"
    • I forget a day (or a week). The same voice says: "You have failed. What's the point anymore?"
  4. I give up.

My Solution

First, develop a conceptual goal. I asked myself "Why I am doing this?" This provides a backbone for the project.

My Goal: I want to create a visual crumb-trail into my memories and share my day-to-day life with the world.

Second, design an automated reminder system. Since my phone is always with me, I use its recurring alarm tool. I also set up Google to send my cell a text message on the first of the month reminding me to take a photo of myself.

Third, I re-defined the rules of based on my personal goal.

  • Any image will provoke memories, not just photos. (i.e. screenshots are ok)
  • Any image will provoke memories, regardless of quality. (i.e. cellphone photos are ok)
  • Any image will provoke memories, regardless of uniqueness or artistic quality. (i.e. point, shoot, move on)

The Result

I have already started the project. We'll see what happens in the long run.

I'm not sure if I want to post the images individually every day or if I want to post 7 at a time once per week. We'll see what works.

Ciao,

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment